Saturday, February 28, 2009

Taqueria el Mejor ~ Visalia, CA

This will probably be my last post for at least a couple weeks, I'll be touring the motherland of all taco's...Mexico. So look forward to some great reviews and pics from the place that started it all.


Taqueria el Mejor



It says a lot when a place like this impresses amongst a throng of other tried and tested mexican restaurants. Truly, I was impressed. Walking in I was greeted with a friendly smile and witty sarcasm from the two cashiers (I think they might have been the owners).

This place also doubles as a spanish deli and tamale factory...and they cater...and they deliver. Amazing.


*Asada, Carnitas y Barbacoa

I was pleasantly surprised to find barbacoa as a choice of meat for my taco. I fell in love when it was recommended to me by the owner of Gallego's Bro's deli in Mar Vista. I basically have used their barbacoa as a standard. With that said, Mejor is a serious competitor. If you've never had barbacoa..I recommend it. Think beef brisket...but juicier. When you cook pork in the same manner as barbacoa...it's referred to as carnitas.



They literally pulled the carnitas off the already cooked shoulder to use for my taco, yet I was a bit worried because they used the carnitas at the deli that's been sitting under a heat lamp. It was all good though, no tough meat. I was glad they dug into that shoulder with the tongs to get to the tender, juicy insides. As for flavor, I wouldn't say bland, but I'm definitely not saying flavorful. It was good enough though, I enjoyed it.



The carne asada was good for a little taqueria here in Visalia. The mixture of tender juicy bits of meat with crispy charred bits added a very nice contrast that went well for the taco. Next time I'm back I'll probably order only the asada...



I was glad to see an authentic taqueria of this calibur open up downtown. I recommend this place if you need your quick fix and don't want any of the fuss a restaurant could bring.
Pro's
-Hot Deli
-Tamale Factory
-Delivery service
-Catering service
-Percentage of profits go to ALX for Humanity - "rebuilding schools in third world countries."

Con's
-No salsa bar
-Small dining area





Small Taco's ~ 1.25
Taco's Grande's ~ 1.89
Flour Taco ~ 2.49

Taqueria La Mejor ~ 129 N. Court Visalia, CA 93291 559.733.9033

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online