Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cemitas Tepeaca ~ East LA

Another interview in the bag, this time in East LA.  Ahhhh East LA!  You know what I was thinking the night before?  No, it wasn't what I was going to say at the interview, about how I would be a great asset to the company.  I was thinking about one thing, and one thing only...Where am I going to eat?!?! 


CEMITAS TEPEACA

I basically drove south from where my interview was at, turned left on Cesar Chavez (you know there's gonna be a shit load of Mexican fare on this street) and drove until I found a truck or a shop.  There were so many spots, literally, on every corner and on every block. It was like I died and was driving down Taco St. in mexican food Heaven.  

Caught this cool little mural while at a red light...


Finally, after just three minutes of driving, I see this...



BOO-YA!  Does that truck have a picture of baby Jesus flying in the sky?



I don't know if you can see, but that building in the background is Los 5 Puntos, the ever famous carniceria and market.  Apparently, they have some bomb.com.  They even made the the first round of LATaco's March Madness Taco Tourney.   A bit bummed I didn't go in, if I would've known they were a heavy hitter, I would have dumped this truck in a heart beat and checked out their famous carne asada.  Next time, if I get the job of course.

So I order two carne asada tacos.  Take a look see...



Took the picture of the tacos on a milk crate.  It also doubled as a chair.  



These tacos were really good.  The carne asada was well seasoned, with hints of cumin and chili powder, and was cooked to my personal preference, juice running down my hands and tender crispy charred edges on the asada.  Mmm mmm mmm.  The salsa roja added a spicy kick that took the taco to flavor heights I can only dream of recreating.  The tortillas were probably store bought, but I have a feeling they buy from Los 5 Puntos, and they make their own.  They aborbed and kept heat well.  There were even little crunchy parts on the tortilla (note the little browned areas).  

Now I know why so many people rave about the calibur of mexican food here in East LA.  It's mexican food, made by mexicans, for mexicans.  I'm pretty sure they could tell I was asian, but that didn't stop taquero from talking to me en espanol.  I respected and spoke back in common tongue.  

Look at me,  going all "native" n shit!  hahah.. Me encanta!





Tacos ~ $1.00

Cemitas Tepeaca ~ On the corner of E Cesar Chavez & Indiana St.  Los Angeles, CA  90063

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop giving away all of my taco spots. We don't need all of you hipsters getting in line in front of me ;)

The last thing you want to do is make a left on Whittler and seeing the real goodies further down the street.

Brown Dolphin said...

Hahah, Sorry for blowing up your spot. :) I'm sure you're spot will stay safe from us westsiders. I am one of a few taco lovers who actually go out of our way to find these lil gems.

Anonymous said...

The next time you make your way to the truck, you need to try the Cemita.

blogger templates | Make Money Online