Sunday, February 22, 2009

Don Felix Meat Market ~ Culver City

With the economy in the toilet, White Godzilla and I took it upon ourselves to say "fuck it,"and have a good time. We did this by purchasing two round trip tickets to Cancun, despite lack of work and tons of bills. We have talked about this trip incessantly now for about a year, and I am glad to say we are finally (barely) able to back pack through the Yucatan.

After crunching the numbers - the plane tickets, hostels, transportation, food, booze, I was left with the minimalist amount of money possible for a person to live in a two week period. My obsession with finding the best taco's in LA had to take a back seat.

But that's when I remember meeting a fellow by the name of Don Felix.

Don Felix Meat Market

With a crispy twenty dollar bill and high hopes, I set off to the meat market section of Don Felix. They had everything you would expect from a carniceria: marinated carne asada, marinated leg and breast chicken, pastor, chorizo and other meats that I'll leave for the more adventurous eaters.

I was able to walk away with a 1/2 pound of the marinated carne asada, 1.5 pounds of the breast chicken, and one whole chorizo that weighed about 2 pounds. Total cost? $10.50!!!

I made lotsa taco's :)
*clicking on any of the images will now bring up a bigger and better looking version!





*Carne Asada

I cooked the asada in the oven for about 30 mins at 350 degrees. It turned out very juicy and tender. The flavor was amazing. I've tried to mimic an authentic style carne asada before. I didn't even come close to this. Let's just say it tasted legit. Better than anything I could have done up...even with the help of internet recipes.




*Marinated Chicken Breast

The chicken was good. The 1.5 pounds gave me two butterflied breasts. The first one I grilled, second one I baked. I liked it better baked. I tasted hints of tumeric and cumin in the chicken, the marinade being a melange of herbs and spices.

Unfortunately, I was so hungry making my chorizo and cheese taco's that I wasn't able to take pictures. I just dug into those things.. Let me tell you though, they tasted great. Standard chorizo. Overly juicy to the bite, and flavors reminiscent of Mexico.

Don Felix has broken my carniceria cherry. I've never had the pleasure of enjoying already marinated meats from a mexican meat market, so I can't say I'm an expert in the field. But you know what they say, "you never forget your first."

From this point on, all will be held by this standard.

1 lb marinated carne asada ~ 6.49
1 lb marinated chicken breast ~ 4.49
1 lb chorizo ~ 1.99

Don Felix Meat Market ~ 3985 Sawtelle Blvd. Culver City, Ca 90066

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online