Friday, February 20, 2009

Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken ~ Culver City

It's no secret that filipino's love them some fried chicken.  I'd go as far as saying we love them equally as much as black people.  I know it sounds unimaginable, especially if you've never been to Philippines or do not know any filipino families.  But let me tell you, if you go to any potluck or family event where there's filipino's and food, you will undoubtedly see fried chicken on the table, right next to the pancit, rice and lumpia.  Dave Chappelle said it best when he described his affinity towards fried chicken as a "genetically predisposed" condition. I hear ya brotha, I have pictures of my mom eating friend chicken at a party while she was pregnant with me.  Genetically predisposed?  Fuck ya!  That shits in mah blood!


Honey's Kettle Chicken



A fancy version of KFC.  Sorry folks, I really don't have that much good to say about this place.  The price you pay for the food you get, just outrageous.  And all three times I've been here I've had the worst service.  It's like they could give two shits that you're in there.  And I'm not gonna say the reason either...I think you know what I mean if you've been here before.  



Ok, to be fair, that chicken right there was pretty good.  Seriously, I would love to give this place a better review.  It's just that service once you're in there, coupled with the fact that the cost is outrageous.  I have to minus 2 points right off the bat with that.  And usually I don't care about such things...because in the end its all about the food.  

2.5 outta 3 for the chicken, zero on everything else.  But don't let that stop you.  Give them a try at least once, their chicken is pretty good.  

Pro's
-Big menu full of "soul"

Con's
-Service
-I don't wanna do it but I am...  COST

2 pc. meal  (kettle fries, biscuit, sweet pickles) ~ 8.09  w/breasts ~ 9.00
wing ~ 2.99
breast ~ 3.75
leg ~ 2.75
thigh~ 3.05

Honey's Kettle ~ 9537 Culver Blvd  Culver City, CA  90230 (310) 202-5453


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMM MMM MMM FRIIIIIIIED CHICKEN!

Anonymous said...

wow, racism coming from a Filipino, how strange! (hope u catch my sarcasm)

The amazing part is that you failed to notice the 'watermelon/fried chicken' stereotype is a joke. As in, its really a joke. Thats why Chapelle and black comedians talk about it because it was never true but spawned decades of racial jokes.

Apparently you missed the irony.

Brown Dolphin said...

It's a joke? I never knew! *sarcasm*

But seriously, is it not true that fried chicken is a part of southern black history? As far as "food" is concerned? I don't know of many soul food restaurants without fried chicken on the menu!

And about the stereotype being a joke, I am aware of it...I'm not sure you noticed though, that I am applying that same stereotype onto Filipino's... see it now?? Funny? No? ehhh, I guess it'd be funnnier if you were filipino, or at least asian.

blogger templates | Make Money Online