Monday, March 23, 2009

Pepe's Tacos ~ Culver City

Plan B:  Pepe's Tacos.  


What was Plan A?  Plan A was going to a place I spotted off Venice Blvd named El Charro.  After I parked my car and made the quick walk, I get to the front, look in, confusion hits, and kept on walking like I was going somewhere else. Hahaha what a douche.

Seriously, I looked in and it looked like a hybrid barber shop and bar, but instead of taps and drinnks against the wall, there was a small little stove and mini counter for prep.  I was like, "WTF is going on in there?"  I turn around and look in, and get a bit intimitated by the place...it reminded me of a spot we walked by in Mexico, touristy part of Mexico at that, and only locals were there, straight up MEXICANS ONLY.  I definitely need to rehash my Habla Espanol before I return.  Y voy a regresar.

Until then...it was plan B tonight.

Pepe's Tacos



Early in my taco blogging career, I visited this spot and was very very disappointed.  I vowed I would give them one more chance, because in the back of my heart I knew they could do better.  Coming here, I was hopeful for something good.  They almost delivered 100 percent.  



I was bit concerned after looking at the menu and finding out these taco's come at 1.39 a pop.  It went away when homeboy dropped this plate on my face.  The chips and salsa more than made up for the 15 cent increase per taco.  


*from bottom to top:  pastor, asada, carnitas

For some odd reason, while I was waiting for my tacos, I was hoping I'd hear that pssssshhhh! the sound of meat being cooked on a grill.  Of course, it never came.  Maybe I'm getting a bit spoiled having gone to so many legit-made spots in Mexico and LA where your food is cooked to order.  Sad, ignorance is truly bliss.  

The pastor was very unremarkable.  I felt like they heavily sauced the pork.  It was like they forced their pastor flavor onto my palate.  I didn't like it.  No means NO.

The asada was definitely a step up from the pastor.  And a very big step up from the last time I was here, where I found a huge peice of fat that took up about half the size of my taco.  Though they didn't reheat the meat, it still came to me hot, not piping hot, but hot enough to enjoy.  I found a couple of charred crispy peices so that was a nice little surprise.

Now the king of the show was definitely the carnitas.  I had a feeling this taco was going to be the best.  Last time I was here I enjoyed this taco because of the texture.  This time around, they really impressed me by bringing the consistency.  The carnitas came to me just the way I like...tender and juicy from sitting in a hot stew pot for long hours.  Ohh man that shit taste bomb.  I'm telling you, sometimes things just are better over time.  And slow cooked pork is one of those things.  

Overall, this place redeemed itself from the very low point I had them in my head.  Not "great" mexican food.  But definitely the type that keeps customers coming back for more.  I think if I ever find myself back here though, I'm gonna try something else..their menu is huge and I've read on Yelp.com that they have some serious Torta action.

Pro's
-Chips and Salsa included
-Friendly service

Con's
-No salsa bar
-They use already cooked meat.  They don't even reheat.... (I know, I'm getting picky now.  But hey, I've seen the other side, and I like it.)





Taco's ~ $1.39 ea.

Pepe's Tacos ~ 4582 S. Centinela Ave.  Culver City, CA  90066  310.391.8667

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online