Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Paloma Selestial & Tacomiendo pt 1 ~ Culver City

I finally made my way to Tacomiendo last night.   LA Taco and Bandini at Taco Hunt make this place sound like a fuckin treasure chest here in the westside.  But on my way there a parked taco truck piqued my interest.  Look's like taco's before my taco's tonite.


Paloma Selestial

Talk about piss poor experience.  This place had the potential to really make my night, even more so than Tacomiendo could have.  The truck itself wasn't decked out with a fat mural of an Aztec warrior or anything, but it had the essentials.  Buche, cabeza, lengua, asada, pastor, pollo and even pescado taco's.  It had drinks on ice and an assortment of sides like chips and candy and such.  I order my taco's (dos taco's de asada) and wait quietly by the side while two mexican's eye me like, wtf is this guy doing here?  Is he mexican or something? He's brown so he might be.  Anyways, I get my taco's and take a seat on the curb and experience some poorly done taco's.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As you can see, this place has potential to make some good taco's.  But mediocrity becomes them.  The meat came to me cold.  I got two different salsa's, which were basically shit when compared to the greats.  On top of that, I think this place gave me the shits.  Come on now?  Really?

Pro's
-Potential for improvement

Con's
-Gave me the shits.





Taco's ~ 1.25

Paloma Selestial ~ Inglewood Blvd in front of Braddack Center, Culver City, CA

Tacomiendo

Photobucket

I was really excited when I arrived at Tacomiendo, especially after that shit show at Cemita's.  As I walk in I see a girl at the window making tortilla's.  Homemade tortillas!  So.Fucking.Awesome.  From previous research, I knew the taco's were big, so I just grabbed one carne asada taco.

Photobucket

Waiting for my taco's, I headed to the salsa bar to get my shit straight before my meal hit the table.  It had the essentials, pico de gallo, a verde/pico de gallo hybrid, a smokey salsa roja, and onions and cilantro, also the other shit I usually dont touch.  

Photobucket

Everything here seemed cooked to order, a plus.  But when I finally took that bite, the meat was on the dry side.  But at least it was hot.  The charred edges really added another flavor to the meat, a good thing, tasted like fire from the grill ya know?  

The homemade tortilla wasn't as hot as I would've liked.  Maybe that's why I wasn't so impressed by it.  After all the raving about it on the net, I expected a bit more.  

The salsa roja had a smokey flavor with a delayed heat reaction, tasting it in my mouth even after I left the place.  The salsa verde/pico de gallo collab was really good.  It was a nice topping that cooled down the lean grilled asada meat. 

Overall, I would have to give this place a 3 outta 5 mexican worker mark.  Even after my shitty experience with Paloma's, you would think a place like this with said qualities would have blown my mind.  But it didn't.  Maybe another night Tacomiendo.  

Pro's
-Homemade Tortilla's
-Free Beans at salsa bar
-Generous sized taco's

Con's  
-Chips were a bit on the hard side.





Taco's ~ 2.50

Tacomiendo ~ 4502 Inglewood Blvd.  Culver City, CA




0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online