Saturday, February 14, 2009

Taco's El Grullo ~ Visalia, CA

Random dbag:  "So, where you from?"

Me:  "Visalia"
Random dbag:  "Huh? Where?"
Me:  "Visalia, it's just below Fresno.  By the Sequioas."
Random dbag:  "Uhh you mean Valencia?"
Me:  "Shut the fuck up you doucher"

And so it goes.  There's different ways this conversation could go, but this one pretty much sums up what almost every Visalia raised person must go through once he/she has left the nest.  And left the nest I have.  

I'm sure few have noticed, but I haven't posted anything in the past what?  10 days or something?  Sorry folks, I was too busy taking in the best of what my hometown has to offer.  Good people, good food, the great outdoors, parking everywhere you look, and no traffic.  

And speaking of good food, you know my shit, you know why I do this.  Taco love.   Por Vida.

Tacos El Grullo

With restaurants in Lemoore and Hanford, these guys thought it would be a good idea to open a third spot here in my city.  Suckers, little do they know the building they chose is seriously cursed in my opinion.  Almost every other year a new restaurant opens up, does mediocre, then is outta business.  

Good luck Grullo.  It's gonna be hard to show the people of Visalia something they've never seen before, cause around every other corner there's a mexican restaurant that is tried and proven.  

Photobucket

Photobucket
*The holy Trio - Carnitas, al Pastor, Carne Asada.

Three words.  Not a fan.  What's up with mediocrity these days?  I swear, my carnitas would have been so good, but too bad they had to serve me the shit that's been sitting under a heat lamp for hours.  The flavor was straight, yet the texture was that of jerky.  Come on guys.

The pastor was forgettable.  Seriously, I couldn't even tell you what it tasted like because I don't remember.  

The asada,  ohhh the asada.  A favorite among many Visalian's.  You better get this one straight among the gabachos or be ready to get lynch mobbed.  Sadly, the asada was nothing special.  I could tell they didn't marinate the beef.  It was highly seasoned and a smidge too salty for my taste, and I like salty.  To be fair though, they did cook the meat when I ordered it, and it came to me tender and juicy.  

Photobucket

I'm sorry Grullo.  You're not gonna get the seal of approval from this taco lover.  You have potential though.  Work on the fundamentals of the game.  Come back when you're well seasoned, and maybe you'll be able to impress me.  Oh, and about the location, you better throw up some "Hail Mary's" if you know what I mean.  

Pro's
-Mexican pastries available at only 45 cents a pop
-Free tooth picks

Con's
-A small fish in a big sea of mexican restaurants





Taco's ~ 1.30




0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online