Friday, April 17, 2009

Gladi's & Carlita's Hot Lunch Truck ~ West LA

I believe this truck is parked here during lunch hours (11am-2pm) in front of a major commercial building.  It caters to the suits in the area, and the menu reflects that.  I of course, ordered two tacos (carnitas and asada).  But as I was checking the menu, I noticed a HUGE VARIETY, from pastrami sandwiches to teriyaki bowls, tacos to hot dogs.  This place was ready to go.


GLADI'S & CARLITA'S







The carnitas was of the roasted type...which means they stew it for a long time, but then roast it in attempts to give it a crunchy outer surface.  They did an ok job on not OVER roasting, yet it was a bit on the dry side.  Nothing a little salsa roja and lemon couldn't help.  The flavor was actually pretty good, despite they dryness.  You could definitely taste the long hours in the crock pot.  A very filling taco, also.  They packed that bitch.



The carne asada was pretty standard.  Not much flavor to it but they prepared it really good.  Tenderly cooked with a little bit of juice from the griddle.  Again, the salsa roja and lemon really helped out.  



Now, here are my qualms.  The tortillas they used were TERRIBLE.  The carnitas and asada weren't exactly my definition of juicy, dry store bought tortillas did not help this taco one bit.  They reminded me of Guerrero taco tortillas, good size, but once you heat them up, they get a bit hard and don't keep the heat.  By the time I got to my second taco it was cold, dry and a bit on the hard side.   They were really heavy, and not to mention they used two tortillas; they probably would have been better off using one tortilla.

Second, if you're looking for authentic mexican, this is not your place.  Like I said, they cater to the SUITS in the area and their menu and flavors reflect that.  Not the bold and flavorful stuff that leaves your breath smelling of a mexican kitchen.  Too bad...because that's the shit I love!

PS-The couple working the truck (maybe Gladi and Carlita?) were VERY nice to me.  This truck does have potential, I will be back to try out one of their breakfast burritos because of them.  



Tacos ~ $1.50

Gladi's & Carlita's ~ La Grange Ave. &  S. Bundy Dr.  West LA  90025



1 comments:

Alisa@Foodista said...

Wow,your taco adventures are amazing!I love it!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

blogger templates | Make Money Online