Thursday, April 30, 2009

Taqueria Chihuahua ~ Santa Monica

So far I've gained back all 10 lbs. that I lost while at the Mayan Riviera.  WTF?!  What have I been doing??  Drinking, eating and eating and drinking some more.  I swear, my job is EATING and DRINKING.  I'm good at it.  Someone hire me.  Attached you will find my resume.  Thank you for your interest.


Seriously though, I went a week and a half between posts and what's the reason?  I've been on a little pizza hunt, as of late.  As if tacos weren't enough, now pizza has piqued my interest, and my second chin is responding.  For any of you that are actually following this blog, watch out for my new pizza blog,  "Piece of That Pie."  It's a work in progress...

Anyways...onto the tacos!

TAQUERIA CHIHUAHUA



So today is the second time I experienced this taqueria.  The first time I was so impressed that I had to try it out one more time.  Big difference between this time and the first?  

This...

*Taco Dorado - Pollo

This my friends, is what brought me back to this place.  The taco dorado (crunchy taco) here was excellent.  The tortilla was fried proper with the pollo inside.  The texture of the tortilla was perfectly crunchy, not hard, and not heavy, yet was strong enough to withhold my grip and the several bites I took without cracking and breaking, which can be very annoying.  The chicken was very tender and juicy, not at all dry, with a sweetness from tomatos and a pepperyness that added a nice little bite at the end.  This right here is a crunchy taco I can stand behind. Can't say the same with Tito's...ahhh Tito's I still have to do a review on your weak ass.  One day you will get yours...one day.

Anyways, that was last week.  Today I opted to go with the usual suspects.


*Carnitas y Carne Asada.

First off, the size of these tacos are a bit bigger than your standard taco truck tacos.  Also, when you order they ask you if you want them with everything, meaning they themselves control how much onion, cilantro and salso goes onto your tacos.  Which isn't so bad because they have a decent salsa bar with two salsa roja's (hot and very hot), a pico de gallo, radishs and pickled carrots.  They actually did a good job on topping my tacos how I like.  That's a plus in my book.  



The carnitas taco was of the roasted type, which isn't my style.  The pork was so dry that the flavors weren't shining through.  Hence, I extra doused it with their smokey spicy salsa roja, which was great.  



The carne asada here is the real deal.  A very tender and juicy meat that's remiscent of grilling.  There were even a couple charred and crispy edges in the mix, which I love because of that extra flavor.  The pepperyness of the meat, added with their great salsa roja, married so well.  I love this taco.

What an underrated player Taqueria Chihuahua is in the westside taco game.  If you're in Santa Monica, I highly recommend this place over Tacos Por Favor, if carne asada is your thing.  Their menu, besides the tacos, consist of many of your usual favorites, but something I did notice was they had mulitas.  Maybe next time I can compare Chihuahua's with the USC favorite, La Taquiza.



Tacos ~ 1.59
Taco Dorado ~ 2.49, I think. :)

Taqueria Chihuahua ~ 12034 Venice Blvd.  Santa Monica, CA  90066




0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online