Thursday, April 16, 2009

Yuca's ~ Los Feliz

One of the perks of being unemployed is almost all obligation is thrown out the window, which leaves you with an open calendar to do what you want, when you want.  I can wake up at 11 am because I don't have to go to work.  I can take my time from point A to B, because I'm in no rush to get to work, or to get home from work.  Also, if someone offers, "Hey, wanna go to the dodger game on monday? At 12:30?"  I don't have to say, "Awww shit, I have work!"  

Yeah, it sucks not having a job, but hey, gotta look at the bright side, right?  Anyways, this opportunity presented itself and instead of saying "aww shit I have work," I said, "YES."  

Awesome huh?  What's even better is that friend (Cori) lives in Los Feliz, which automatically meant that my head, and stomach, was thinking, "Oohhhh Jason, Yuca's afterwards!?"  Yes sir, Mr stomach...Yes sir!"

Here are some pics of the Dodger home opener, just for the record...






*Apparently, being handicapped means you can get drunk and trash the p.lot also.

YUCA'S

Apparently we were eating at the right time, this place being a HUGE favorite among all the hipsters and locals to the area.  Something like 25-30 min waits for food and long lines during the lunch hours.  Ouch, is this place really worth it?  Not to mention Yuca's received first place in LA Tacos March Madness tourney.  They even had a certificate on the window.  Hmmm, we'll see about all this hoopla.  


*Once again, note the Jeep in crucial parking.


The menu is simple:  tacos, burritos, sandwiches, tortas and hamburgers..  hamburgers?  Apparently they're good because I saw a couple patrons munchin down lookin all happy and shit.  One thing that really blew me away about this place is they have cochinta pibil!  Mmm mmm mmm, I had some of this goodness while I was in Tulum, Yucatan, where this dish is originated.  Knowing I had the real thing, I was a bit curious and ordered it along side with a carne asada taco.  



Let's start with the asada.  This is very different than what I am used to.  I'm sure many eastsiders would agree, this taco is made for the area...fresh, lean and lacking in that bold mexican flavor.  



BUT, I still enjoyed it very much.  The carne is grilled and reminded me of the steak you would eat at Tender Greens.  This is a good thing.  They use a flank steak and is seasoned simply with salt and pepper.  The tenderness was very different in that it was "grill" tender, like a soft chewy bite that reminded me of eating at a friends BBQ or a fresh organic restaurant.  Once again, think Tender Greens.  They then top it with a pico de gallo which added extra freshness from the tomatoes, all sitting on top of two big size homemade taco tortillas that were soft and aborbed and kept heat very well.  This was a good taco.  You don't get that bold mexican flavor, but more of that California fresh flavor that's all about simplicity that emphasizes on the product, rather than added flavors that enhance.



I didn't know what to expect with the cochinita, but after I took that first bite, all doubt about this place was removed.  THIS PLACE IS GOOD.  REALLY REALLY GOOD.  



The proper way to cook cochinita pibil is buried underground, pibil literally meaning "buried."  I don't know if they actually roast the pig buried underground like tradition asks, but either way, this pork lived up to my standards, standards that were set in Yucatan, the motherland of this particular dish.  Super flavorful with the juices staining the tortilla for added flavor.  A perfect combination of savory, sweet, salty and hot.  The texture was perfectly soft and juicy from the long hours of heat, it was like biting into butter.  What more can you ask for?  This might have been one of the best tacos I've ever had.

Do I really need to say more?  If you're in this area, try them out.  There might be long lines, but if you have the time, you will be rewarded with some fresh mexican food.  Fresh mexican food that places like Baja Fresh and Rubio's is probably trying to mimic.  Once again, this is not your average authentic mexican restaurant with bold flavors.  This place is all about simplicity and perfection.  Me encanta.




Tacos ~ carne asada $ 2.25; cochinita pibil $2.00

Yuca's ~ 2056 Hillhurst Ave.  Los Feliz, CA  90027





0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online