Tuesday, April 28, 2009

El Super Taco ~ Culver City

I've been waiting two long months for this place to open its doors.  I was impressed with the one off Pico in Santa Monica and once I saw the big sign with "coming soon" in front of the new El Super by my apartment, I vowed I'd be the first one in line with a big smile and an empty stomach.  



EL SUPER TACO



FINALLY! 

I walk in like I said I would, with a hungry stomach and a big smile, but all this soon turned south.  For reference, I ordered the three taco combo plate.  


*Al Pastor, Suadero, Pollo Tacos

First off, the beans were really salty.  Like, so salty I didn't even eat them.  Maybe first day jitters on their part?  The rice was mediocre, at best.  Something was missing in its flavor...I'll remark upon it later on.  Now the tacos...



By far the best taco was the al Pastor.  It was super tender and was marinated proper.  It had a good glaze on it and wasn't over powering with the marinade.  I really couldn't have asked for much more from a non spit pastor taco.  Nice job.  

Praise ends there.  Check this pollo taco.



I know I should never judge a book by its cover, but damn, this pollo looked gnarly to me.  As a result, I wasn't really enjoying this taco.  It was tender but lacked much flavor.  I really doused the salsas and onion and cilantro on this puppy.  

Now for the suadero.  What is suadero you might be asking?  I really didn't know what this meat was until I saw it as an option at one of my favorite westside taco trucks, Tacos de Valle, which I still have to review on this site, but my cousin PATRICK keeps duckin' my emails about the pictures on his camera....fucker ass.

Anyways, suadero is basically beef brisket which is grilled.  The suadero at Tacos de Valle looked mighty fine so I decided to try them out here first.  



Well, I wasn't expecting this color, but it tasted alright.  Very meaty with a chewy texture.  Almost like carnitas, but beef.  There wasn't much flavor besides the meatyness, so of course expect me to douse the shit outta this taco with their salsa verde.  

Throughout my meal I kept noticing that something was missing.  Flavor!  Dare I say this El Super Taco lacks that bold mexican flavor?

I will!  The flavors were empty and left me with a feeling that the food was NOT prepared with that mexican amore.  It felt like I was eating food that was "prepared" just not "cared" for.  I have this feeling I'm being a bit harsh because it was the first day, so I'm sure the cooks still have to get used to all the in's and out's in making the standard.  I'll keep that in mind.  

To end it on a positive note, they kept with their heritage and served their tacos bare with a side of grilled onions, and of course their salsa bar is still bangin'.  



Tacos ~ $1.25

El Super Taco ~ 11499 Jefferson Blvd  Culver City, CA  90230  310.391.8148




0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online