Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tender Greens ~ Culver City

What can I say about this place that hasn't already been said about the recent "locally grown, organic living" lifestyle boom that started at the turn of the century.  Yes, Tender Greens offers locally grown fare, (from all over California, mind you) and most of the ingredients on the menu are organic.  Now, I'm not going to use this revew as a podium to preach my somewhat mixed feelings about this recent trend of the "buy local" and "eat healthy" lifestyle.  Shoot, I lean towards that direction every now and then.  But like any other red-blooded, country grown American, I have no problem digging myself into a fat tri-tip that is neither organic nor locally grown.  Actually, what most people don't know is the meat they buy at their local Ralphs or Pavillions is actually California grown, where I grew up.  Thank God for such a fertile valley here in California.  *End shameless central valley praise now*


With that off my chest, let me say that I'm grading the food based on...the food, minus all the hoopla about it being organic and locally grown.  And yes, I do understand that there is a different in taste.  I just won't let it get in my way.


Tender Greens

Photobucket

We arrived on a gloomy sunday morning with my sister and friends freshly hungover and ready to grub it down.  Of course, there was a line that went out the door, this place frequently packed because of the word of mouth praise.  Not to mention this is a "modern cafeteria."  You order your meal in front, go down the line and watch them prepare your food,then at the end register you give them your money and they give you your food.  This "cafeteria style" line of preparation can create some long lines for the uneasy, very hungry folk.  Yours truly included.  Funny thing, I've been here so much that none of it is new, so while waiting in front of the vegetable part of the line, some random outta nowhere asked Patrick, "Are you waiting in line?" I'm like, "No we're not, we're just picking our nose here while we wait for our food.  Fucking douche bag."  Yeah, I was hungry and sick of wating.  Little did I know that this was his first time to Tender Greens, so he didn't know the routine.  My bad.  So who's the douche bag now?  I even called him a rookie after the fact. Hahah I'm a dick.

Photobucket
*Happy Vegan.  Or as we like to call it, Buddha's Feast

Patrick was very ambitious and got the Buddha's Feast.  Included is tabbouleh, green hummus, pasta pearls, farro wheat, young kale and tender greens.  Truthfully, I don't know what half of what I just typed down is.  But I did get a taste of a few of the things.  Definitely fresh to the taste, but it seemed more like a bunch of sides on one plate for me.  Not to mention, no pita bread?  I see hummus, albeit green, and all you get is that day old hard bread they call "rustic bread."  Eh, I'll let the vegans keep this plate.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
*Side of the Line Caught Ahi Tuna

He also ordered a side of the Line Caught Ahi Tuna.  It's weird because they have this dish written as "albacore tuna" on the menu at their location.  Anyways, he had a couple pieces left over and he offered me a bite, I gladly accepted.  I must say, even after I finished my meal, the tuna was very good. They seared the tuna which left the inside raw, like sushi raw.  I don't even like sushi and I still enjoyed it.

Photobucket
*Oxnard Vegetables Hot Plate

Of course, Sara ordered the grilled vegetable plate.  I ordered this plate a long time back when I was in my "let's not eat meat every single day of my life" mode.  From what I can remember, it tasted all very good.  Like with most of their plates, the vegetables are prepared simply.  They soak the veggies in olive oil, then lightly season with salt and pepper.  Next they grill and serve em' up.  The veggies come fully cooked, but with a stiffness that's snappy.  I bet they blanche their veggies before hand.  

Photobucket
*Angus Flat Iron Steak Hot Plate

And now to the real deal, my plate, the Angus Flat Iron Steak.  What they don't tell you is that it's actually a flank steak, its most common application, the london broil. They quickly sear the steak over a very hot grill, and is cooked medium rare to maintain its tenderness and flavor.  

Photobucket

I've always enjoyed getting this.  But this time around, I noticed they had an overstock of already cooked steak sitting in a bowl under a heat lamp by the meat section of the line.  I knew this was gonna be bad from the start.  For the sake of speeding up the line, they cooked extra steak.  I don't really mind this but shit, throw that puppy back on the grill for a couple seconds.  Once I was sat down and finished taking pictures, my "steak" was warm.  More on the cold side.  That shit seriously put a damper on the whole experience.  I will add that this was the first time this has happened to me.  I've been here enough so I'm gonna let this one slide.  But you better come ready next time I arrive TG.  Seriously.  Or I'm gonna Yelp the shit outta you.  

Photobucket
*Side view of the outside seating area.

This review wouldn't be complete without mentioning their sides.  Their dishes include a choice of 5 different salads, all of which are above average for a fast food restaurant.  My favorite salad is the baby spinach with goat cheese and hazelnuts, topped with a cabaernet vinagrette.  Also if you order the hot plate, you get their very soft and fluffy yukon gold mashed potatoes.  This shit reminds me of some bomb brutal I used to get back when I was younger and had this country bumpkin ass white friend.  His mom made mashed potatoes like no one's business.  The taters at TG aren't goopy, it's very soft and if stuck on a fork and held upside down, it will stick to the fork.  Honest to goodness authentic mashed potatoes.   

I've been a frequent customer of this place since its opening.  Besides the under-a-heat-lamp fiasco with my steak,  things will remain the same.  But seriously TG, watch your back.  Or I will break your neck ala Yelp.

Pro's
-Fast Service
-Fresh Ingredients ie "organic" "local grown"
-You can see them make your plate and cook your food
-Great outdoor seating area.  ie people watching

Con's
-Long lines at peak hours
-When lines are long, they cook extra and let the finished sit under a heatlamp

Hot Plates and Sandwiches ~ 10.50  Big Salads ~ 10.50  Simple Salads ~ 5.50
Check full Menu here.

Tender Greens ~ 9523 Culver Blvd  Culver City, CA  90232

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome- I've been wanting to try this place for ages, and now you've motivated me to :).

blogger templates | Make Money Online