Wednesday, April 8, 2009

La Isla Bonita ~ Venice

I was a bit sketch on going here.  I've been to Mexico and back, and had some great tacos everywhere in between, so going to a Venice taco truck had me a bit wary.  But, I had to check it anyways, a friend recommended it.  Thanks for the tip, Chili.


La Isla Bonita

As I'm driving down Rose, I see the truck in the distance, but it's parked like it was actually parked there...not serving food.  I was wrong of course...but check it.  It's a bit ridiculous, IMO.



I walk up and I automatically get the gringo treatment.  I start ordering in spanish, but chica responded in english, and in a sorta annoyed way, like, "why the fuck is this asian trying to order in my language?"  Bitch musta been on her RAG.  



"Gringo treatment."  *laffs*

Anyways, she starts to call out, "Dos tacos.."  But she remembers me being gringo and catches herself midsentence and finishs, "two carne asada tacos."  Damn dude, for some reason I'm feeling disrespected, and I'm trying to talk in her language!  Eh, whatever...It's Venice so I shouldn't be surprised.

Now, here comes something I've never seen before...


BAM!! 

I seriously start to laugh aloud when I see this.  I'm thinking, "WTF?!  Frijoles on my tacos?! Seriously?!"  

I'm open minded so I eat the tacos, beans and all.



Two carne asada tacos, from a marisco place at that.  I've already learned this lesson.  Don't get carne at a place where their specialties are mariscos.  I've always been the stubborn one though.  

I knew before I even took a bite that this was going to be a bland ass taco.  The coloring of the carne asada was greyish.  Greyish!?  hahah Proper asada should have a dark color, not a dark grey color.  The meat was cooked, meh...  It was cooked, but dry and flavorless. Now I know why they put frijoles on top, to add a bit of moisture to the meat.  The salsa was next to non-existent, and whatever was there didn't help out in flavoring up the taco.

Such a mediocre experience.  Once again, get the mariscos.  Don't even fuck with the meat.  I already knew from Chili Krauss (who's a pesca-vegetarian) that her fav's were anything with shrimp.  Too bad I'm not a shrimp guy...

PS - oh, and it being in Venice, they felt they could get away with charging an extra quarter more than most other trucks here in the Westside.  Bastard asses.





Tacos ~ $1.50

La Playa Bonita ~ Corner of Rose St. and 4th Ave.  Venice, CA  90291
  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you expect from a taco truck named after a Madona song HAHA

Brown Dolphin said...

HAHAH.

What's next? A taco truck named, Blonde Ambition Tour?

blogger templates | Make Money Online