Sunday, February 15, 2009

Super Taco ~ Woodlake, CA

It's crazy how far people will go to satisfy a craving.  Here in LA, I have to drive 30 mins south to Torrance for some proper Hawaiian style food.  For Italian deli sandwiches, I drive 20 min's to Santa Monica.  I mean, I could easily get these things here in Culver City and not be in a car any longer than 5 minutes, but sometimes you're willing to go that extra mile for a place that specializes in such things.  Places where only their food will hit the spot.  For many Visalian's, that place is Super Taco in Woodlake.


Super Taco

When I was just a little baby in the taco game, I was in awe of this place.  Just getting here you drive through beautiful country and farm land silhoutted by the Sierra Nevada's.  Super Taco itself is a little shack that probably can only fit about 25 people inside at once.  I used to think that since Woodlake was full of mexican migrant workers, the food was probably as authentically mexican as you could get. 

So, coming back with all this taco experience under my belt, I knew I'd be able to give a more objective review of this place, rather than my old romantic view from the past.  

Photobucket

Photobucket
*The Trio - Carnitas, al Pastor, Carne Asada

The carne asada was as good as I remember.  Chopped bits of carne asada that tasted great.  Seriously.  Hints of lime from the marinade created a very flavorful juiciness to the meat.  

The praise ends here though.  My pastor wasn't anything special.  Very forgettable.  And my Carnitas?  I don't know about that pico de gallo they put on top of very average grade, almost flavorless carnitas.  There was bell peppers and pickled carrots in the gallo.  Not a very big fan of that.  

Also, I know I shouldn't grade a place on their salsa but, I can't help it.  The salsa here just plain out sucked.  They only give you one kind of salsa and I didn't put it on any of my taco's, even though I really wanted to.  I looked around and of course, there wasn't a salsa bar either.  Very disappointing.

Photobucket
*Lengua Taco's

My cousin Patrick always gets lengua for his taco's so I was excited to hear what he had to say.  "Where would you rate this place, outta 5?"  I ask.  He gave a very definitive "3."  He enjoyed them, but nothing special.  Maybe if he had some good salsa???

As far as taco's goes, my old romantic view of this place clouded my perception of how good the food here really was.  With what I know now though, the taco's here were nothing special.  The asada had to be the highlight, but I could truthfully say that it would be hard to stand up with the greats here in LA.  

Photobucket
It's cool though.  You'll always have a place in my heart Super Taco.

Pro's
-Nice, scenic drive from Visalia
-Barbacoa and Menudo special's on Sunday
-Their "small" soda is actually a very "large" soda

Con's
-Salsa
-No Salsa Bar





Taco's ~ 1.25

Super Taco ~ 102 W. Naranjo Blvd. Woodlake, CA  93286

3 comments:

oliver wrist said...

I had Super Taco not too long ago. Definitely a let down, but the tortas still bang.

Brown Dolphin said...

i believe that. If it wasn't for my recent taco fetish, I would've gotten myself the carne asada torta and that extra cheesy goodness they call quesadilla.

Anonymous said...

thank you jase for giving a shout out to super taco!

blogger templates | Make Money Online