Wednesday, February 25, 2009

La Taquiza ~ Los Angeles

La Taquiza is a place that makes me happy for starting this blog.  I probably would have never eaten here, let alone heard of this place, if it were not for this new hobby/obsession.  


So....it is my pleasure to introduce you to La Taquiza.

La Taquiza



The specialty of this place are their mulita's...  sorta like a cousin of the taco.  Think quesadilla but with the small tortilla's and any choice of meat.  But I didn't come here for these.  Next time though...they looked great, and everbody raves about em.

Oh, and before I go on, let me tell you another little secret. Their tortilla's are HOMEMADE.  Mmm mmm mmm.  So fresh, so good.


*al Pastor y Asada

Their asada has a very unique taste.  I have never come across this flavor before in my taco life.  I think they might have used a soy sauce or teriyaki as a base for their marinade.  It was good though, but different.  They cut the asada in thin strips so its not chunky like most other spots, and also has very tender texture with no charred or crispy edges to be found.  The taco's come with only one tortilla...it being homemade, they're able to stand up to its contents with no problems. 

After eating one of their pastor taco's, I was so amazed at how good they were that I ordered two more.  



SO.FUCKING.GOOD.  By far the best pastor I've tasted, thus far.  This is what this blogs all about people.  Finding the best of the best.  Coming across this taco was like finding the holy grail for me.  SO.FUCKING.GOOD.



They cook the pastor on a spit, right in front by the grill.  The flavor was the perfect balance of sweet, savory and spicy.  The slow cooking on the spit creates a juicy, tender texture because the juice slowly falls down the meat, basting itself with gravity.  The contrast between the tender juicy meats with the crispy charred edges was, quite simply, perfect.  I topped the taco's with onion's and cilantro, and added their salsa verde.  I didn't think it could get better, but adding the mild, cooling verde with the pastor turned my taco into something else.  Something really good.  

OK, enough of this crazy talk, time to move on to my sisters meal.


*Fish and Shrimp taco's

I didn't get a taste of the fish, but from what she told me, it tasted good.  3/5.  It seemed to have a higher proportion of batter than fish.  Not that good of a sign in my book.  The taco's come topped with cabbage, guacamole and sour cream.  

I was able to get a couple bites out of the shrimp taco.  It was good.  I'm not a big fan of shrimp so I'm not even gonna front that I know what I'm talking about.  But, it did taste good, and you know what,  that's all that matters.  

And now the conclusion...

I don't know where to start.  Home made tortilla's, al pastor on a spit, taco's came with no toppings, awesome salsa bar, friendly service....jeez, I think I might have found it.  The reason I was able to visit this place (La Taquiza is in downtown LA) was because I was catching a train to Visalia.  I'm currently here in Visalia now, and am heading back to LA this sunday.   Guess where I'm going when I get back?  

Pro's
-Homemade tortilla's
-Salsa bar
-Pastor on a spit
-Friendly service
-Big menu

Con's
-My sister noticed a lady sweeping the floor by the salsa bar...I'm not much of a germaphobe, but that can't be good having dust being swept up by food that people eat.





Taco's ~ 1.60
Fish and Shrimp Taco's ~ 2.65

La Taquiza ~ 3009 S. Figueroa St.  Los Angeles, CA  90007

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online